How do I get the most life out of my new batteries?
To maximise the life of your batteries, it is best to complete a full charge for the first 10–15 times that you use your scooter. This simply means however far you travel, do not just ‘top-up’ for a short while, but complete the full charge cycle every time. Your batteries will not work at their best until this process has been carried out and will prolong power and performance. You will find the distance your scooter can travel will gradually increase over its first few weeks as your batteries reach optimum efficiency.
When is it best to charge my batteries?
After 10–15 cycles have been completed, a normal charging routine can be adopted –
• Depending on the capacity of the batteries, the charge time can vary up to a maximum of 16 hours
• The charger will automatically shut down when the batteries are fully charged, so you do not have to worry about switching it off. This is ideal for overnight charging.
• Whenever possible try to avoid interrupting a charge cycle. It is always best to complete a full charge cycle as excessive short term charging is detrimental to battery life.
• For the very best results and to maximise battery life, charge fully before and after use.
• Please refer to charger indicator lights for battery status.
How do I store and maintain my batteries?
• If your scooter will not be used for a while or is being stored, make sure the batteries are fully charged first.
• If your scooter is not being used, make sure the batteries receive a refresher charge every 1–4 weeks. Alternatively if you are planning not to use your scooter for over 6 weeks, fully charge your batteries and then disconnect.
• Fully charge the batteries before re-use.
• Never leave the batteries in a discharged state.
• Avoid damp, hot or cold extremes when storing your scooter.
• Batteries are totally sealed and do not require any maintenance apart from charging.
It is worth considering that in extreme cold weather the time your batteries take to charge can increase by up to 20%. The range of your scooter will also vary based on weather conditions. Also when your batteries reach the end of their useful life, you will find that charging time will become much shorter. The amount of charge the batteries can hold will become less and less as will your scooter range until ultimately they become unusable.
Regular safety checks
It can be beneficial for you to quickly check your scooter once a month to see whether everything is working properly. It only takes a few minutes and by checking the following you can rest assured your scooter will continue to perform to the best of its ability. Make a date once a month on your calendar to check: